It has been since I last bought yarn!

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Rainbow Fun

As you've seen here on the blog, I belong to the WCOBB (Western Canadian Odball Baby Blanket) society- where we knit a 6" section in scrap acrylic yarn that is donated to the Foothills NICU ward.  I've been involved for awhile now and it's a brilliant way to bust stash out of your acrylic bin of shame.  (Which 'fess up... we ALL have!)  Sometimes the blanket has a theme, or an outlined instruction or color pattern and other times it's just a free for all.

The further I've been involved on the blankets the more I've learned that I like the theme, or instruction blankets, as, in my mind, they tend to look a little more cohesive.  You can't always guarentee that the next knitter is going to follow the instructions though, and every once in awhile you get a blanket that looks a little... um... off? 

A popular "instructional" blanket to sign up for is one that incorporates mosaic patterns- which always really pop.  I've, for a long time, had in my head an idea for a mosaic blanket that incorporates Rainbow colors in the traditional "Roy. G. Biv" order.  And, well, as you recall, I bought a "schwack" load of rainbow acrylic on boxing day.  (Much to the shock of well, everyone.)  I just decided to indulge my curiosity.

First I needed to swatch out a few ideas.

Untitled

I realized then that I had a bunch or leftover acrylic in the exact same brand, so I could swatch AND get a gauge swatch- so I switched to green and yellow.


I knit a lot of swatches, but I kept coming back to liking the "Swirly" pattern.


And so, satisfied that I had a decent plan, I cast on and was immediately transfixed.  To be honest I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the blanket.  If I love love LOVE it- I'll probably keep it and gift it to someone who would prefer the "upkeep" of acrylic over the "upkeep" of wool.  If I don't love love it, I'll probably donate it to the WCOBB group.


I already know that I'm going to have leftovers.  Like, a lot of leftovers.  So there's going to be another rainbow blanket after this one.  I haven't decided it's direction yet- but needless to say I'm having fun with all of this color.  My little goal would be too try and eek out 2 rainbow blankets this month.

What a great way to make up for the lack of color in January than to knit with Rainbows!  (Even if it IS acrylic.)

No comments: